Tips on Winterizing your Home
It’s that time of year again…the time to winterize your LBI home if you are not planning on using it in the winter months. We know how expensive and frustrating it is to deal with frozen or burst pipes but with proper planning it can be prevented.
- Check your town’s police department websites or call their non-emergency number to fill out an emergency contact form. This helps the local police departments to quickly get in touch with you if something does happen with your home or property
- Call a licensed plumber to properly turn off the water and wintertize your plumbing system
- If possible, leave your heat on a low setting (50-55*) even if you have winterized your home. This helps to also regulate the humidity in your home and prevents wood floors or furniture from cracking or shrinking
- Have your central air conditioning unit serviced and covered.
- Insulate water pipes and hot water heater.
- Have your roof checked for any missing shingles & or damaged flashing.
- Make sure the gutters are cleaned and free of debris.
- Don’t forget to have your sprinkler system also properly drained and shut off
- If you decide to winterize your own home, check out this link.
- Have a neighbor or hire a service to check on your home periodically while it is shut down.
Taking the time now to properly winterize your home will save you time in worrying and possible repair expenses.